About Me

I am many things. Many things you would know by looking at me and many things you would not know. I am too smart to be an intellectual and too ADHD to be an academic. I believe that some believe I live in “the Greatest Country in the World.” I believe you are both right and wrong in that. I believe that I am the progeny of many people, many races, many struggles, many successes and still many more choices. I have an obligation to embrace the heritage handed down to me and continue the journey left to my generation. I used to believe actions spoke louder than words, but then I saw the 2000 election. I now know that words, uttered enough times by enough people for long enough will always move us farther than just actions. So these are my words. I’m sure you have yours, feel free to share them. I have some rules for this blog: 1. I welcome debate on any opinion or statement I make but I reserve the right to take the discussion off-line; 2. If I feel that a comment is being used to subvert the topic I reserve the right to remove the comment from the blog.; 3. ANY comments made with more-rhetoric-than-fact WILL BE REMOVED.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Intelligent people being led by dumb people

When, in the course of human history, have so many intelligent people (aware, conscientious, learned, and analytical) been led by the opinions of dumb people who write laser-focused propaganda about events, causes and people based on speculation, interpretation, and often times personal projections of dislike or hatred.  When have people so readily given their opinions and conviction to the whim of celebrities?  When have sane and sober individuals become crazy and drunk with the hatreds and passions of others?  When have people with no physical, political or military power been so able to commandeer the hearts and minds of so many?

When?  Whenever people have more fear than hope.  Whenever the dramas of the day can be blames on the scapegoats of tomorrow.  Whenever people refuse to accept responsibility for their lot in life and when people want someone else to take care of it for them.  We now have an entire industry built solely on the premise that it is important for us to tell you what to think and feel.  Glenn Beck, Jon Stewart, Bill O'Reilly, Keith Olbermann, Jim Cramer, Oprah Winfrey, Dr. Phil, Dr. Laura, Bill Maher, Rush Limbaugh and a whole slew of other people are in the business of telling you, either explicitly or implicitly what you should think, feel and do.  The sad part about that is none of these people have the lives that we want. 

Most of them are single and have always had relationship problems, their finances (though much higher than the rest of us) regularly get them into trouble, their predictions often never come to pass, and they live personal lives isolated from real friendship/companionship because their professional lives dominate them.  Most of them would never be elected to any political office if they ran.  Most of them aren't people you would leave your children with if you knew more about them personally.  Still, they speak and whether you agree or disagree, you listen.  You listen and you debate and you argue and you wish all manner of good/harm on them...for what?  Having an opinion?

I don't blame these people.  Hell, if I could make millions of dollars just by sharing my opinions and beliefs on TV I'd start tomorrow.  There are plenty of people who have opinions and beliefs that I think are retarded, untenable, or abhorrent...but that's the beauty of being here, in this country.  Their opinion is just that and it can do NOTHING to me, unless I allow it to.  We have reached a point where the citizens of this country are collectively smarter than we've ever been...and yet we're allowing the opinions of everyone from Mel Gibson to Arianna Huffington dominate what we pay attention to.  When have so many been duped by so few?  When the person was a leader, not a commentator.  When the content of their speech was about what to do, not who to blame.  When words drove progress and mobilized mending.

This is nothing but destruction by way of multimedia brainwashing.

No comments: